Woodlands Forest School
What is Forest School?
This is an approach that has been around for some time and it is a way of educating children in the outdoors on a regular basis. It follows 6 key principles to qualify as a Forest School. These are:
- Forest School is a long term process of frequent and regular sessions in a woodland or natural environment. Planning, adaption, observations and reviewing are integral elements of Forest School.
- Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural wooded environment to support development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world.
- Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independence and creative learners.
- Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
- Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
- Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for development and learning.
What does your child need?
Forest School goes ahead in all weathers (with the exception of heavy winds and thunder storms) so please ensure that your child has the suggested clothes to get changes into.
- Outdoor/play clothing – they will get muddy – we encourage it!!
- Warm clothing (lots of layers, including extra pairs or thick socks)
- Hat, scarf, gloves (we go out in all weather)
- A water/shower proof coat
- Waterproof boots are ideal if not outdoor shoes or old trainers
- Waterproof trousers are a huge benefit when working on damp or wet ground
- Long trousers
At Bushmead, we have developed a Forest School area, called Woodlands Forest School, within the school grounds to give your child unique experiences first hand, to play and learn in a controlled outdoor environment.
If you have any questions about Woodlands Forest School, please feel free to speak to Miss Barrows who will be able to help you.
The beginning of Woodlands Forest School…
Currently it is Lower Phase that are accessing the woodlands. Have a look what they’ve got up to so far!
Woodland Trust Awards
The children having been working hard to complete activities to gain points to achieve a number of awards.
So far, February 2022, we have achieved bronze and silver!
Our Forest School Leader is working hard and planning lots of activities so that the children can achieve gold and platinum!
Well done to Early Years hard work completing a range of activities and earned the Gold award from the Woodland Trust! We are now awaiting our gold plaque to arrive and we have already began planning activities to achieve Platinum.